Brasilia, Aug 22 (V7N)- Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has told US President Donald Trump that Washington’s recently imposed tariffs on Brazilian goods are unfounded and harmful to both countries.
The two leaders discussed the issue during a phone call on Friday (August 21), according to a statement from the Brazilian government.
The call lasted around one hour and 20 minutes. Lula said the tariffs were damaging both countries and called for continued negotiations to resolve the trade dispute.
According to the statement, Trump agreed on the importance of maintaining strong trade relations between Brazil and the United States and proposed holding another meeting soon.
Last month, Washington imposed a 25 percent tariff on certain Brazilian goods, citing alleged unfair trade policies. An additional 12.5 percent tariff was imposed over what the United States described as inadequate enforcement of forced-labor regulations.
During the call, Lula also reiterated Brazil’s willingness to cooperate with the United States in combating organized crime.
He argued that criminal gangs operating in Brazil should not be equated with terrorist organizations, after Washington designated two such groups as terrorist organizations in May.
According to the Brazilian presidency, Trump expressed interest in strengthening bilateral cooperation and said he would encourage senior US officials to advance agreements reached between the two countries in this area.
END/SMA/AJ