Sylhet, Aug 19 (V7N) — For many people in Sylhet, the dream of moving abroad for a better life is increasingly turning into a nightmare, with families losing large sums of money to fraudulent recruitment agencies and brokers, while some aspiring migrants have lost their lives attempting dangerous journeys to Europe.
Sylhet has long been known as one of Bangladesh’s major migration-oriented regions, with thousands of people travelling each year to the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada and other European countries in search of employment and better opportunities.
However, unscrupulous recruitment agencies and middlemen are increasingly exploiting this aspiration. Allegations include collecting large sums of money in the name of overseas employment, providing fake visas and forged documents, and shutting down offices after taking money from prospective migrants.
The latest incident involved the arrest of a man in Golapganj over an alleged fraud involving UK healthcare visas. RAB-9 arrested Kayes Ahmed, 40, during an operation in the Raigarh Puran Bazar area of Golapganj on Sunday night (August 16).
According to RAB, a fraud ring allegedly collected Tk 60 lakh from several victims through different bank accounts after promising them UK healthcare visas. Even after the victims completed medical examinations and other required procedures, the visas did not arrive. They later discovered that the documents provided to them were allegedly fake. The victims also alleged that they were threatened when they demanded their money back.
Kayes was arrested in a case filed over the alleged fraud and later handed over to police.
In another case involving an alleged scam over UK Skilled Worker visas, a court on Wednesday (August 12) ordered the detention of Badruzzaman Tanvir after he failed to meet bail conditions. The complainant alleged that Tanvir and others collected Tk 1 crore 47 lakh 43 thousand 308 from several people. Of the amount, Tk 45 lakh 20 thousand was reportedly returned, leaving Tk 1 crore 2 lakh 23 thousand 308 outstanding. A Police Bureau of Investigation report reportedly found preliminary evidence against several accused persons.
Earlier, on May 29, allegations emerged against Sylhet-based Amex Associates over the alleged embezzlement of at least Tk 7 crore from around 700 young people on promises of sending them to Europe. Victims alleged that the company’s two owners, Jaber Ahmed and Emon Uddin, collected between Tk 1 lakh and Tk 5 lakh from each person. They later allegedly provided fake visas and threatened victims who demanded refunds. Following the allegations, the company’s office was reportedly closed and its owners went into hiding. Police later arrested two people after a case was filed.
The dangers extend beyond financial fraud. On August 3, a motorised boat carrying 42 migrants reportedly left the coast of Tobruk in Libya for Greece. Thirty-eight of those aboard were reportedly Bangladeshi nationals. At least 11 Bangladeshi migrants are believed to have died during the Mediterranean journey, while at least seven others remain missing.
Several of the missing migrants are reportedly from Shantiganj upazila in Sunamganj. They include Hridoy Pal of Pagla Shatramardan, Enamul Khan, Ripon Mia and Mamun Khan of Chikarkandi, and Md Talha of Ronsi village. The identities of some of those feared dead have yet to be confirmed.
Survivors reportedly told international media that shortages of food and drinking water caused several people to die during the journey. They said the bodies were later disposed of at sea because of deterioration and the resulting conditions.
Residents of Sylhet have also reported being deceived by agencies promising migration to Europe. Chowdhury Mushfiq Munim, a resident of Sylhet city, said he contacted an agency called Travel Zone to arrange overseas employment for four acquaintances. After being shown documents purportedly proving that their visas had been issued, he later discovered during verification that the documents were allegedly fake. The agency had reportedly taken Tk 78 lakh from him. He subsequently filed a case, following which the accused was arrested, according to police.
Concerned citizens and industry representatives have urged prospective migrants to verify the legitimacy of recruitment agencies before making any payments. They advised checking whether an agency is authorised by the Bureau of Manpower, Employment and Training (BMET), and independently verifying visas, employment contracts and other documents through the appropriate authorities.
Abdul Jabbar Jalil, a former three-time chairman and former president of the Sylhet zone of the Association of Travel Agents of Bangladesh (ATAB), said there are around 200 legitimate agencies in Sylhet, while the number of unauthorised agencies operating under various names could be at least 1,000.
He urged prospective migrants to verify an agency’s licence, visa and employment documents before making payments and to keep proper records of all financial transactions.
Mohammad Manjurul Alam, Additional Deputy Commissioner (Media) of Sylhet Metropolitan Police, said allegations of overseas recruitment fraud were being investigated seriously.
“Where allegations are substantiated, legal action is being taken against those responsible,” he said, adding that police had recently received several complaints involving fake visas and promises of overseas employment in the UK and Europe.
He said cases had been filed in several incidents and some suspects had been arrested, with legal proceedings continuing through the courts. Police surveillance against illegal agencies and broker networks is also continuing, he added.
Authorities have advised people planning to migrate not to hand over money based solely on verbal promises and to verify the agency’s legal status, visa and employment documents before completing any transaction.
END/AKR/SMA/