Cox’s Bazar, Aug 20 (V7N) — Allegations have emerged of the misappropriation of Tk 1 crore 42 lakh 57 thousand 944 deposited by 21 customers at an agent outlet of Al-Arafah Islami Bank in Ukhiya’s Palongkhali, Cox’s Bazar.

Police have detained two people, including the outlet’s agent-owner, in connection with the allegations. Customers have also alleged that several crore taka belonging to other depositors may have been misappropriated from the outlet.

A complaint was filed with Ukhiya Police Station by Anwar Faisal Arif, a businessman from Palongkhali Bazar. Nine named individuals and five to six unidentified people were accused in the complaint, including agent-owner Hakim Uddin, 68, cashier Tahsin Islam, 21, manager Habib Ullah Farhad, 32, and several partners and employees.

According to the complaint, the Al-Arafah Islami Bank agent outlet began operations around 2018 on the second floor of Yakub-Mostafa Market in Palongkhali Bazar. The accused allegedly had prior familiarity with local residents, prompting customers to open accounts and regularly deposit money at the outlet.

The complainant alleged that Tk 5 lakh 55 thousand was deposited in his own account. The complaint stated that the combined deposits of 21 customers amounted to Tk 1 crore 42 lakh 57 thousand 944.

Customers alleged that they began facing difficulties when attempting to withdraw their money. They claimed outlet officials repeatedly gave various excuses and delayed payments.

Amirul Foyez, one of the customers, said he had been depositing money at the outlet for a long time. When he recently attempted to withdraw his savings, he was allegedly denied payment. After checking his account and deposit receipts, he claimed he found discrepancies between the amount he had deposited and the balance shown in his account.

Another customer, Runa Akter, said she had deposited money at the outlet in good faith but later discovered that the full amount was not reflected in her account. She called for a proper audit and the return of customers’ deposits.

Customer Khatijatul Kobra said she had deposited Tk 10 lakh at the outlet and demanded that the authorities investigate those responsible and recover the customers’ money.

The complaint further alleged that the outlet’s owners, officials and employees had acted in collusion and manipulated account books, deposit receipts and other documents to create false entries. It was alleged that customers’ deposits were not properly credited to their accounts and were instead transferred to other accounts.

According to complainant Anwar Faisal Arif, he and several witnesses went to the outlet office at around 11am on Tuesday (Aug 18) and demanded the return of Tk 1 crore 42 lakh 57 thousand 944. An argument reportedly broke out after the accused allegedly said they were unable to repay the money.

At one stage, the complainant and witnesses detained Hakim Uddin and Tahsin Islam, while the other accused allegedly left the premises.

After local residents called the national emergency service 999, police went to the scene and took the two men into custody. They were subsequently taken to Ukhiya Upazila Health Complex for medical treatment. Hakim Uddin was later referred to Cox’s Bazar District Sadar Hospital after doctors reportedly found his condition to be concerning.

Customers have alleged that several crore taka belonging to other depositors may also have been misappropriated from the outlet. They said they had attempted to recover their money through local community leaders but failed, prompting them to seek police intervention.

Ukhiya Police Station Officer-in-Charge Atikur Rahman Majumder said a complaint had been filed over the alleged misappropriation of customers’ deposits at the Al-Arafah Islami Bank outlet in Palongkhali.

“Police went to the scene following the complaint and detained two people. They were sent to court on Wednesday afternoon,” he said.

The officer said the allegations were being investigated and that the authenticity of the claims would be established through the investigation. Legal action would be taken against those found responsible, he added.

Several attempts were made to contact outlet manager Habib Ullah Farhad for his response to the allegations, but his mobile phone was found switched off. His comments could therefore not be obtained.

Police said the allegations of misappropriation and the identities of those involved would be confirmed only after completion of the investigation.

END/MSI/SMA/