Jerusalem, Aug 18 (V7N)- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has confirmed that Israel carried out an airstrike on a military airbase in northwestern Syria, saying the operation was prompted by concerns over a possible deployment of Turkish troops at the facility.
The Israeli strike on the Abu al-Duhur military airbase near Idlib was reported on Tuesday (August 18). Netanyahu initially remained silent about the attack but later acknowledged it in a statement.
Netanyahu said the possibility of Turkish forces being deployed at the Syrian base posed a security threat to Israel. He claimed that Syria had been repeatedly warned against allowing such a deployment.
According to the Israeli prime minister, there is an understanding between Israel and Syria regarding security arrangements, and the possible deployment of Turkish troops at Abu al-Duhur could undermine that understanding.
“We will not accept any threat to Israel's security,” Netanyahu said, while also expressing Israel's willingness to see a return to the previous security situation.
Israel and Syria do not have formal diplomatic relations, but security and other negotiations between the two countries are currently being conducted with mediation from the administration of US President Donald Trump.
The Israeli strike has drawn concern from Washington. US Ambassador to Turkey and Syria Tom Barrack described the attack as “creating unnecessary tension” and said it would not contribute to regional stability.
Barrack called on all sides to prioritize “rational dialogue” rather than moving toward another military confrontation.
The incident comes amid longstanding tensions between Israel and Turkey. Netanyahu has repeatedly criticized Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan over Ankara's position on Hamas. Turkey, meanwhile, has strongly condemned Israel's military actions in the region.
The Israeli attack has further complicated the regional situation at a time when tensions between Iran and the United States are also rising following the breakdown of talks between Tehran and Washington.
Israel's decision to acknowledge the strike despite Washington's criticism has also highlighted differences between the Israeli government and the Trump administration over how to address growing regional tensions.
END/SMA/AJ