MANILA, Feb 18,  (V7N) – Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte made a historic announcement on Wednesday, declaring her intention to run for president in the 2028 elections, amidst growing tensions with the current president, Ferdinand Marcos Jr.

"I offer my life, my strength, and my future in the service of our nation," Duterte told reporters, solidifying her bid for the highest office in the land. The vice president, who is the daughter of former president Rodrigo Duterte, has been a key political figure, known for her strong stance on national security and governance.

Duterte's announcement comes after a series of public confrontations with Marcos, with whom she once formed a powerful political alliance during the 2022 presidential election. However, she accused Marcos of failing to uphold promises made during their campaign partnership, particularly criticizing his administration for alleged corruption and lack of sincerity in fulfilling his duties.

"In the first few months of our terms, I already saw Bongbong Marcos Jr.'s lack of sincerity regarding the promises made during the campaign," Duterte said, referring to Marcos by his popular nickname.

Her presidential run is not without controversy, as Duterte has faced multiple impeachment complaints in recent weeks, including a fresh accusation filed earlier this month by members of the clergy. If found guilty by the Senate, an impeachment trial could disqualify her from the presidency and bar her from running in 2028.

This announcement is poised to set the stage for an intense political battle in the Philippines, as Duterte’s candidacy could challenge the status quo and further deepen the rift within the country’s political elite.

END/WD/RH/