Feb 17 (V7N) - A gunman wounded former rugby league star Matt Utai in a drive-by shooting in western Sydney on Tuesday, according to Australian police and local media reports.
Police said the attacker opened fire in the early morning at a 44-year-old man who was on the front lawn of his home in the suburb of Greenacre. Two men, believed to be the gunman and the driver, carried out the attack from an SUV before fleeing the scene.
Shortly after the incident, police discovered an SUV on fire in a nearby street, which is suspected to be linked to the shooting.
Although police did not officially identify the victim, local media reported that the injured man was former National Rugby League winger Matt Utai, who previously played for the Bulldogs and Wests Tigers.
Paramedics treated him for multiple gunshot wounds and rushed him to hospital, where he was reported to be in a serious but stable condition. New South Wales Police Superintendent Rodney Hart said the victim suffered gunshot injuries to his lower leg, upper shoulder and chest and is currently undergoing surgery.
Hart said police are focusing on identifying those responsible and ensuring the safety of the man and his family. Investigators are also examining whether the attackers specifically targeted the victim or someone associated with him.
Police added that the victim has no criminal history and inquiries are underway, including possible links to organized crime.
END/AJ/RH/
Comment: